Tuesday, November 29, 2011

General Tso's Sesame Chicken

I've been living in Germany for the past two years, and I have to say, I am fairly embarrassed that I haven't made any more posts on here.  I blame it on Facebook and how easy it is to just upload a photo on there with a short caption. :-)  I'll try to update more, especially since I have a lot of material to work with. :-)

One of the things I have missed greatly about New York City is the food.  Mind you, it's not the fancy schmancy stuff, but the simple everyday dishes you get from (one of) your neighborhood chinese take-out place.  The running joke with me and my friends who travel back home to the US is that they were going to bring me General Tso's or Sesame Chicken in their luggage.  No one has done it yet, and it seems like I don't need for someone to do it anymore. 

I found this quick recipe for General Tso's chicken online, and decided to make it yesterday.  I think the most challenging part of this dish was deep-frying the chicken.  In my tiny studio apartment, I didn't want all my stuff tainted with oil and smelling like fried chicken strips after! lol.  Also, since I can't always seem to follow a recipe, I used the linked recipe as a guide.  :-)

I used chicken breast that I sliced to bite-sized pieces, then seasoned with salt and pepper.  Then I dipped it in the cornstarch/egg mixture before frying.  Also, for the sauce, I added a bit of water to the rice wine, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch mixture.  Here's how it came out!






No comments: